Monday, March 31, 2014

Diggi Loo Diggi Ley, Alla Titta På Mig, When I'm Walking With My Nametag On!

A funny ad- it translates to- Mama, if you don't swap to
 clean energy, your phone will be sleeping with the goldfish.
Hey everybody at home! So, life as a missionary continues to be amazing here in Sweden. The weather is as bipolar as ever; Saturday, we were literally baking outside and it was suicide to keep even a light jacket on, and then I woke up this morning and there was snow on the ground. I don't claim to understand it, I just work here.

But, as it is, I'm happy to be here in Sweden. With daylight savings yesterday (apparently we're a week behind the US on that) it's still light enough to see across the street when we wake up, and it doesn't really get dark until we start heading home at night- which is absolutely insane given that just two months ago, the sun was GONE by about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, but there it is.

It's insane to see how the Swedes are popping up on the streets at about the same rates as the flowers- just a little bit every now and then, but more and more as spring really starts coming in full sway. We're still waiting to see everything turn green and alive again, but we're definitely starting to see hints of leaves and flowers every where we go.


We had a bit of a slower week in many ways, and in some ways, it's amazing how much we got done. I remember one lesson in particular that we had at a members house; they'd just fed us and we were talking about the Joseph Smith story. I began reciting the first vision in Swedish, and all of a sudden it was like I was getting hit with this huge wave of spiritual awesomeness. (That's a technical term). It was amazing to see how the spirit in that room changed. We'd had a fun evening together, but the Spirit was so strong that it got quiet, and all you could hear was us as missionaries offering our simple but strong testimonies in Swedish that Joseph Smith really did see God and Jesus Christ, and that he really did restore Christ's church to the Earth again.


We also had some fun this week with the ward talent show. As missionaries, we helped a lot to get it set up, and we as sisters had fun convincing the elders that what they needed to do was lip-sync to Diggi Loo Diggi Ley. To give you a little context, Diggi Loo Diggi Ley was sung by the Herrey Brothers in 1984, and it won the Eurovision contest that year. The Herrey Brothers are members of the church in Sweden, and it actually has been a missionary tool apparently ( I would guess somewhat like saying that David Archuleta is LDS in the states).  The ward talent show went amazingly well, and it was amazing to see how good a job the elders did  after 24 hours of practice.


Sister Morris' face and mine when trying Salt Licorice.
 I've tried it a few times, and i can still honestly say
 that I don't like black licorice, with or without salt.

 (Here   ==>  is a link to the YouTube video of the original.)





In other news, I hit 6 months this week. How crazy is that? It does not feel like I've been away from home for that long, but there it is. But at the same time, I look at how much I've learned and how many pictures and memories I already have, and it's amazing to see how far I've come. Super weird.  

Anyways, I love you all, sorry that it's kind of short this week, but I'll see what interesting stories I can come up with for next week.

I love you all!

Syster Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment