Monday, September 15, 2014

Strange Things Are Afoot at the Circle-K

Hey, guys! It has been yet another fabulous week in the Sweden Stockholm Mission.  It was kind of a slow week for lessons, but we were seriously so blessed with all we were able to accomplish and the amazing people we were able to meet.

It was a week of miracles in many ways. Till exempel, on Wednesday, we were walking through the middle of Stan after getting blåsted by an investigator (like I said, it was a slow week), and we were headed to the bus stop back towards our apartment to eat dinner when the phone rang, and at the other end was the adorable four-year old son of a member saying, 'Jag ser er,' or, 'I see you!' He and his Mom then invited us up to their apartment across the street from where we were walking for dinner spur of the moment.  It was an amazing evening, and I loved getting the chance to meet with them and give them a short message with dinner, because they are honestly some of my people here in Malmö (disclaimer: I have many favorites. No one need feel less loved just because they weren't specifically mentioned as a favorite).

Let's see, what else, what else.... Well, we had adventures this week going out to the pretty little town of Ystad (google maps it, because it is BEAUTIFUL) to meet with a member who lived nearby who we're getting ready to go to the temple.(Just a reminder: it is better than Disneyland). It was so fun getting to go into her apartment. I don't know exactly what I'd been expecting, but definitely not what I saw. We walked in and every recognizable surface was absolutley covered in second hand and vintage things that I'm still sort of fighting the urge to steal a few of- she had good taste! In any case, it was special getting to know her a little better AND get her ready to go the temple hopefully in the near future. It really is one of the most amazing places on earth, and certainly one of my holy places, regardless of whether it is in Stockholm or Salt Lake.

Things are still going really well with our investigator, Sanny. We're still hoping and pushing for baptism in the near future- he's so ready for it, and I'm so excited for him when that day comes. For now, we're continuing to go through all the lessons and make sure that everything he needs to know is there. As it is, we've been having fun in our lessons with him, and we're still praying that he can feel better physically.

And, one last highlight from this week. Yesterday, we had the pleasure of teaching Young Women's. Somehow, all of the young women and counselors were gone (sickness, work, etc), so the only people there were the American Young Women's president and her daughter, so we just took it in English. For one, I LOVE Young Women's, in so many ways, it's what I think of when I think of church at home, but for two, it was so nice to be able to simply teach in that way, because while I definitely was applying the skills of being a missionary, it was in a little bit of a different way than in meeting with an investigator. In any case, we talked a lot about being in the world but not of the world- something I found to be ironically fitting as a missionary. But as we tought the lesson, we also managed to get into D&C 87:8- 'Stand ye in Holy Places and be not moved until the day of the Lord come, for behold, it cometh quickly saith the Lord.' And as we were talking, it really hit me that I want to make Sweden more of a Holy Place for me. Don't miss understand me, Sweden is a beautiful, blessed land, and I am so grateful to be here. But the thought came to me that by the time I go home, I hope this can be my own personal Waters of Mormon, where I really truly came to know and rely on the Lord, and I can't help looking back at my time here with a smile because I know that this country will be even more special and singular in my memory than it is now. 

Also, for your reading pleasure ( I know you all were so proud of me and thought I'd matured enough to skip over this finally), I have a funny story. We were walking out of the church yesterday when one of the Elders asked, 'Do you feel that chill in the air? Do you know what that means? Santa's coming!' So, to update you all on the weather, it is finally starting to get chilly again. I haven't broken out the tights everyday for a week yet, but they're starting to sound a little nicer and nicer every day. The days are getting noticeably shorter, and I'm starting to revert back to the mentality of 'Is it creepy to contact this person?' after 7:30 at night because it's DARK.  Winter is coming again!!!! Whoot! Hopefully I actually succeed at getting a White Christmas this year.

I love you all tons, and I hope you have a fantastic week!

Mvh,
Syster Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment