Monday, January 27, 2014

It's -4 Celsius and Toasty!

Well, life continues here in the frozen north. It actually made it up to about 0 degrees today, so I was able to wear my pea coat for P-Day, which was fabulous.

Missionary work continues as always here. We've been trying a lot to work with less actives lately, and we've had some success with drop-bys lately, however, there was one drop-by that was actually really quite sad. We went to a house looking for a man, and a woman answered the door, so we asked if he was home. It turns out the man was her father, and he died last March, and no one in the ward had known. It got a little awkward after that, so we said good-bye and got out of the building pretty quickly after that.

But all of our lessons went fairly well outside of that. We had a bit of a miracle last Monday. P-day hours had ended, so we were doing drop-bys in Flemingsberg, which is mostly port-coded apartments, so it's hard to get in since we generally don't have the code. However, we got in to our very first apartment. They weren't home, but we were able to get in, and that in and of itself was something. Then we went several doors over, and it happened again. And again. And again. All told, it happened 7 times that we made it into a less active member's apartment building out of the 8 buildings that we went to. And then the crowning glory was when we went to the apartment building of a less active family. We couldn't remember their name, so we were reading off the list when a woman who'd been searching for her keys by the door asked us, 'Are you looking for me?' She'd been standing there searching for her keys for several minutes when we came up. She instantly invited us in, and we were able to teach her and her children briefly before going out to find more less-actives. We didn't understand it at the time, and we still don't understand it, but the Lord was watching out for us, and we were blessed that night.

We also had several other lessons during the week that were.... interesting. We had one with a Muslim, and one with a Buddhist that stand out to me. Unfortunately, I am not a perfect person, so I got impatient in the lesson with the Muslim. It was an interesting lesson, because while we were trying to teach him about the Book of Mormon, he was trying to convert us to Islam, which of course, we weren't having. However, in hindsight, I realize now that every time I spoke, I was bearing my testimony and stating with certainty the things that I know to be true, and that is of itself a blessing. The lesson with the Buddhist wasn't frustrating, but he had a lot of interesting stories about life, and by the end of the lesson, I was grateful for my faith and that it's led me down such a nice, safe path of life.

We also had the opportunity again this week to teach the youth in our ward. This is going to be a more regular calling for the sisters here in Hägersten, which I'm very excited for. I love getting to work with the youth and drink in their amazing spirit. 

Oh, and today, we had the amazing opportunity to go to an amazing look-out over Gamla Stan. I got some amazing pictures which I'm hoping to get to send to you this week, but suffice it to say that Sweden is beautiful, and that I'm grateful to be serving in such a wonderful country!

And yeah, there's a week in the life of Syster Maxwell! I hope everything's going well for everyone there!

Love, 
Syster Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment